This loco was built for the Southern Railway and designed by Richard Maunsell, the Chief Mechanical Officer. The first in the class, Lord Nelson, was completed on August 11, 1926.
850 Lord Nelson entered traffic nominally allocated to Stewarts Lane and this was followed by a short spell at Exmouth Junction, from March/April 1930, as the locomotive headed up the Atlantic Coast Express. The first of the Bulleid modifications took place in January 1942, just before Lord Nelson was allocated to Bournemouth in February 1943. Renumbered to 30850 under British Railways in October 1948, in January 1949 Lord Nelson returned to Eastleigh from where it was withdrawn in August 1962. Preserved as part of the National Collection, the locomotive now resides with the Mid-Hants Railway.
Gauge – OO
DCC Type -DCC Sound Fitted
Period Era 5 (1956 – 1968)
Operator/Livery Late BR, Lined Green
Minimum Curve 2nd Radius + (438mm)
Age Suitability 14+
Motor 5 Pole Skew Wound. Loco Drive
|Dimensions||36 × 12 × 6 cm|